Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Is There an Echo in Here? I Wish. That Would Make Conversation a Whole Lot Easier.

You know what I love? Repeating myself. Not only does it double the duration of hearing myself talk, but it also doubles my chances of being heard. It's a good thing I am going into secondary education.

Coming home from school offers bounteous opportunities for repeating myself. You know what I love? Repeating myself. A common conversation at my house goes as follows:

Me: "Mom!!! Phone's for you!"
Dad: "What?"
Mom: "Okay, I'll get it!"
Dad: "What? Are you calling me?"
Me: "No."
Dad: "Anna! Is the phone for me?"
Me: "No, Dad."

I also enjoy telling stories that only get interesting toward the end. That way, people are bound to say, "wait, who did this?" or, "hold on, what happened?" right when I start wrapping things up. Seeing as my stories change with every telling, this gives optimum opportunity to add a little flavor to my tales. It's like getting to roll the bowling ball three times on the last frame. At least, it seems like it would feel like that. I guess I wouldn't know.

My stories often feature the same characters that always make up my life, yet they remain faceless strangers to my parents each time I begin a story.

Mom: "So, who all was there?"
Me: "The usual. Martin..."
Dad: "Martin Milius?"
Me: "No, Dad. The other Martin we know. Plus Kelsey, Brittney, Tom*..."
Dad: "Tom who? Tom Selleck?"
Me: "No, Dad. The one you always say, 'Tom who?' about."
Mom: "Now, who was there?"
Dad: "Tom Johnson? Oh, that Tom boy in our stake?"
Me: "Oh, you know what? Actually nobody was there."
Dad: "What?"

Unfortunately, this conversational trend seems to be genetic. My mom asked me, "Anna, jfwa io fjlkds take down Christmas decorations today?" I can't possibly understand what she was asking of me. It sounded sort of like, "Anna, jklw vni empty jlki the dishwasher," or, "Anna, afie you're fjiofaeio; too old lkanv watch cartoons."

I have concluded that hearing is a gift not to be wasted or overused.


*Name changed to protect the innocent



3 comments:

Marty Phil Milius said...

I can relate. And I'm happy to be apart of the usual crowd. But I guess I'm not innocent with my name being unchanged.

anne said...

does our house echo clear to your house?! was fun to see you and your parents. gooood luck with the student teaching. you will be faaabbbuuuloouuuussss!

cindy said...

What?