Friday, January 22, 2010

What's Good


I'm getting married so my brain won't function. Or perhaps I am getting married because my brain won't function. That's what all the non-mormons think, anyways. The contrast between a mormon response to a wedding announcement and a non-mormon response continually reminds me that mormons are, indeed, a peculiar people.

"I am getting married about five months from now in July."

Mormon Response: "Perfect. You're engagement time will about quadruple your dating time. Ever consider moving it up to May?"

Non-Mormon Response: "Wait. July of THIS year?!?"

"I am 22-years-old"

Mormon Response: "Man, you sure are lucky to have found a man older than you up at school. You barely dodged the relationship limbo they call the singles' ward."

Non-Mormon Response: 'Oh, how sweet. She genuinely thinks it will last!'

"He and I are both going to be English teachers."

Mormon Response: "I hope you don't mind being poor."

Non-Mormon Response: "Very, very, very poor."

"We've been officially dating since Thanksgiving."

Mormon Response: "Oh yeah? Well my cousin dated for ten days before she got engaged and my grandpa proposed after three dates and my mother's aunt just ran into this guy and she knew she'd marry him so they went and got married and..."

Non-Mormon Response: (Grin, blank stare, exhale, exit room)

To mormons and non-mormons alike, marriage might mean the death of independence, a plea for poverty, or an onslaught of annoyances; but, to me marriage will mean one simple thing: incredible blog material.


5 comments:

Kelsey said...

can you imagine the reponses i got being 19? but CONGRATULATIONS! you will love it!

Doree said...

Well written, Anna. Well written. I think these were mine and Warren's responses to your engagement to a tee.

MandM said...

I actual had a lady tell me I didn't know the first thing about marriage, and than went on to telling me about how her daughter was getting married to this minster. And while I was listening to her, I wanted to jump over the counter and bite her! I love how people who you see for about 10 seconds know everything about you!

Yo Momma Lindsey said...

SOOOOOOOO excited for you!!

Jason and Jenna said...

Anna,
I am not sure if you remember me from high school but you know my fiance Jason Barker. I am a non-mormon and he is mormon. This is hilarious!! I totally agree. By my family I get looked at like wait you are way too young and by his family I get looked at like wait you guys have been dating for three years, you should have two babies by now!! I just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed reading this!! And congrats on the engagement. I have until next July (like 2011) until our wedding takes place so you are quite lucky!!
-Jenna Reaves